How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3478
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got married in 2011 but filed as single for my 2011 tax year.

This answer was rated:

I got married in 2011 but filed as single for my 2011 tax year. Im busy filing my 2012 taxes and I am not sure whether to file as single or married filing separately...I separated from my husband towards the end of 2012 and am awaiting divorce. How should I file?
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

If you are married, legally you can only file either married filing jointly, or married filing separately. As you live in a community property state, it is more of a hassle to file married filing separately, rather than jointly, but as you have separated from your husband, filing married filing separately is likely the better way for you to go. Note that you are required to include 1/2 his income information on your tax return, as he will have to do the same on his return. You can refer to the IRS Pub 555 that relates to taxation in community property states.

Link to Pub 555:

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Attachment: 2013-03-01_080623_screen_dump.docx

I am busy trying to do my return now and I dont understand why it is showing that I will only get about $500 back. My income was about $1200 for the year but my deductions were in excess of $9000. This doesnt make any sense. Does this sound right to you? I have attached the summary that the H and R Block online program is showing.

Hello again Natasha,

Sorry that I was not able to respond sooner, I was away from the computer. Unfortunately, I am unable to view the attachment, however that does not mean that someone else would not be able to. This is a public forum and some of these questions become visible to the general public on multiple search engines. As I don't know what type of information is shown on the attachment, I am going to request customer service blot out this information.

Explanation, a tax credit reduces a person's tax liability dollar for dollar, whereas a deduction reduces the amount of a person's taxable income, which is used to calculate their tax liability. It is likely that the numbers are correct.

Tax.appeal.168 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the high rating and bonus. I appreciate it. Even if prompted to do so, there is no need to respond to this post.