How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom lived with me last year from May 2 through Dec 21. Her

This answer was rated:

My mom lived with me last year from May 2 through Dec 21. Her on file address with her Medicare and Medicaid is actually my sisters address, who is not claiming head of household on her. And, said, she thinks, i can. She receives social security of 671 dollars for expenses. I made mortgage payments of 1495 per month and bought her groceries and utilities. Can I claim head of household using her, disabled, as my dependant parent?
Thanks for using!

If your mother's only income was social security income and the money you paid for on her behalf constitute half of your mother's support, she will qualify as your dependent. That is the first hurdle. See page 15 of IRS Pub 501 for a support worksheet

Since she lived with you for more than half the year in a home that (I assume that the mortgage and utilities paid by you are more than half of the cost of upkeep for your home) you pay for, you can claim head of household if she can be claimed as your dependent.

If your sister is claiming the exemption for your mother, you cannot use your mother for head of household.

If there are other questions, please reply to this question so that I may assist you further. If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent so that I may receive credit for my work. Thanks for your business.
Phillip B, EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you