Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Im trying to decide cheapest way to file federal and state...Im

Customer Question
I'm trying to decide cheapest...
I'm trying to decide cheapest way to file federal and state...I'm a first time filer, and have an earned income of under $1500 for 2012...I've started with Turbotax online 1040ez, although federal is free to efile, they are wanting a lot to efile and direct deposit my state refund...do I have to continue with Turbotax, or can I cancel what I've done [my info] and use a cheaper software/program...if so, what is best online software to use that will not cost me a lot use the first time filer 1040ez software and efile with direct deposit my state and federal refunds?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Tax
2/26/2013
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 4 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

NPVAdvisor :

Hi I can help with this

NPVAdvisor :

What you've just described is how all of the software companies "get you."

NPVAdvisor :

There aren't any truly free Commercial packages HOWEVER ...

NPVAdvisor :

In North Carolina you can go to the NC Dept of revenue site and file for free there!

NPVAdvisor :

First, go here: http://www.dornc.com/

NPVAdvisor :

Then click on the link that says File Your Individual Income Tax Electronically: on the right side of the page, at the top

NPVAdvisor :

BUT FIRST you need to go here: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free to do your FEDERAL Taxes for free.

NPVAdvisor :

This is the only way I know of to get it done completely free. The software companies have to charge, or they'd go out of business, but the government sites are coming, of course, from non-profit (government) entities.

NPVAdvisor :

Hope this helps!

NPVAdvisor :

Lane

ok...what is the 'cheaper' online software to use...and is the NC Dept of Revenue including direct deposit...

Tax slayer basic - Fee federal, 17.90 for one state

http://efile.taxslayer.com/
filing-taxes-online

And direct deposit is available for NC. They don't have it for some states.

So far, that's the cheapest I've found.

I'll keep looking, If you give me a few minutes and check back.

Lane

TaxACT Online Free Edition + State

Free Federal

State 14.95

https://www.taxact.com/online/free-tax-filing/efile-taxes.asp

ok...thanks...about where I started with Turbotax, am I able to stop what I've started with them...I haven't completed all steps to pay Turbotax and finalize...

Yes, just dont pay. It will simply go away after a while ... if you go back there it will always ask you start back up.

But if you haven't paid .... you didn't let them "get you," and you're done.

Here's an excellent comparison I found.

http://www.nextadvisor.com/online_tax_preparation_services/compare.php

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

You have the extent of my wisdom :)

Good luck with everything.

Lane

Positive Feedback of an “OK” or better (or an “Accept”) would be appreciated. That’s the ONLY way we experts are paid!

However, if you need CLARIFICATION, please COME BACK here, AND feel free to bookmark, for future reference.

Sorry..I've already 'ACCEPTED' your answer and paid from my account...I lost my 'unlimited subscription' for 'ACCEPTING' multiple times tied to one question...Just Answers doesn't like that apparently, even if it does advertise unlimited questions and answers...I hope you understand, and THANK-YOU for your help...

No No, it was excepted.

Our posts "crossed in the mail."

Thanks much.

To ask for me again, say “For NPVAdvisor” at the beginning of your question

OR

Go here: NPVAdivsor … and enter your question in the box.

Thanks again,

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS