winktax
winktax, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18 years experience as an Enrolled Agent, insurance agent, stock broker and financial advisor.
63158134

I am 60 years old and my job ended,I have a retirement check

I am 60 years old and my job ended,I have a retirement check of 31000 coming to me,how much taxes should I expect to pay

winktax :

A single taxpayer, no dependents, not head of household filing status, no other income, standard deduction would owe federal taxes of $4,024 and DC taxes $1,320 on the $31,000 of retirement income also assuming the entire $31,000 is 100% taxable. If there are after tax contributions that were made to the pension plan those contributions would not be subject to tax. Worst case are the previous numbers.

winktax :

A married taxpayer, no other dependents, no other income (both spouses), standard deduction would owe federal taxes of $1,483 and DC taxes of $1,221.