How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3509
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I started working for a new company in 2012. Ive been

This answer was rated:

Hello. I started working for a new company in 2012. I've been a resident of the state of WY since 2006, but often use a mailing address in Michigan (my parent's address) for certain critical mail - usually credit cards and my major bank account. I've maintained and lived in a Wyoming apartment, however, and I have my driver's license, insurance, and registration in Wyoming. I've attended the University of Wyoming, worked previous jobs in Wyoming - and filed previous years taxes as a resident of the state.

However, when I received my W2 this year from the new company, they had withheld money as though I were a resident of Michigan! What do I do? I can't file as a resident of Michigan, can I? How can I straighten out the mistake on my W2 and file my taxes accurately?
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

Even though you are technically a resident of Wyoming based on supporting documentation, the company withheld taxes as if you were a Michigan resident because of the Michigan address used. Since taxes were withheld for the state of Michigan, you will need to file 2 state tax returns, one for Michigan and one for Wyoming. On the Michigan return, you will file as a non-resident, and on the Wyoming return, you file as a resident. Any taxes that you pay to the state of Michigan will be credited back to you by your home state, which is Wyoming. To avoid having to do the same thing for this year 2013, you may want to change your mailing address to a Wyoming address.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Tax.appeal.168 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's simple enough. Thank you.

You are welcome. Even if prompted to do so, other than positively rating my answer, there is no need to respond to this post. If you have questions in the future, feel free to check back with me. Request me by my username in the question box, which is tax.appeal.168.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.