Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I claim HOH and an exemption/dependent for my parent who: 1)

Can I claim HOH and...
Can I claim HOH and an exemption/dependent for my parent who:

1) Is a U.S. resident
2) Had no income this year, so is not filing a return
3) Is married but not filing jointly (Married Filing Separately)
4) Is not being claimed as a dependent by anyone else
5) Lived with me for a few months in the U.S. and I supported the rest of the year by sending wire transfers for her living expenses
6) I am single, never married

This seems to fall within the definitions of HOH that I have looked up, but am worried about documenting the 50+% of my support outside of wire transfers (she lives in a country where everything is more less paid in cash)

Help is much appreciated!
2/5/2013
InfoTaxes
InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer

InfoTaxes :

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com I will be more than happy to assist you!

Customer:

hi

Customer:

Are you there?

Customer:

Did you answer the question, I could not find it

InfoTaxes :

If you paid more than half to support her and you have record of all the payments that you sent to her and can show that your mother did not have income ( greater than $3650) , yes you can

InfoTaxes :

Since you are single you can claim the HOH

Customer:

I have record of wire tranfers made ot both parents

InfoTaxes :

that will be good, keep those records in case the IRS ask you for those records

Customer:

(or actually my dad).. they live together. my dad had some unemployment income putting him greater than 3650, so he's not a dependtent for me

Customer:

does that make my case more difficult ?

Customer:

that he made 4000 from UI last year.. (they are not filing jointly so I can claim HOH)

InfoTaxes :

Your father is going to file as Married filing separate?

Customer:

yes he is, since he had 4,000 in income.

InfoTaxes :

Your father can't claim your mother on his tax return

Customer:

my mom can file but had 0 income to her name.. so I don't need to right ?

Customer:

is that a question? he COULD if he wanted to but he's not so I cna claim her...

InfoTaxes :

You can claim her as long as you provided more than half to support her financially

Customer:

ok. i did. it just gets weird because to support her over there in her country its not that much. but i did send her money and it shoudl cover more than half her expenses

InfoTaxes :

As long as you have all the records you will be fine

Customer:

ok cool. i was worried about the records for her expenss since they are cash and usually small (groceries)etc... no big rent or utility expenses i can document

Customer:

but i have bank staements showign wires from my account to hers so i will keep those

InfoTaxes :

As long as you have the wires and you supported her with at least half of her financial needs you will be fine

Customer:

thanks for the help!

InfoTaxes :

Remember I'm here if you need more information

InfoTaxes :

Thank you in advance for your positive feeback!

InfoTaxes :

feedback!

Customer:

yw

InfoTaxes
InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer
InfoTaxes
InfoTaxes
InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer