Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

my daughter lived at my ex wifes address after the divorce

and is in college now...
my daughter lived at my ex wifes address after the divorce and is in college now. can we both claim her if I paid her college tuition last year or can her mom only claim her
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/2/2013
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Stephen G :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G :

You both can't claim her.

Stephen G :

The one who furnished MORE than 1/2 of her support is entitled to the exemption.

Stephen G :

You have to make sure she isn't claiming herself.

Stephen G :

How old is she?

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

19

Stephen G :

Anything else?

Customer:

im good

Stephen G :

If you need to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Again, please remember to rate my response. Bonuses, where you think they are warranted, and excellent ratings, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com.

You may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble please answer it; thanks, SEG

Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert