How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tax-doctor Your Own Question
tax-doctor, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 637
Experience:  Federal, State and local income tax preparation
Type Your Tax Question Here...
tax-doctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I short sold my house in May of 2012. The last payment I made

This answer was rated:

I short sold my house in May of 2012. The last payment I made on the house was in September of 2011 so in 2012 I did not make any payments. I received a 1099-c form for $66000 in forgiven debt. I also received a 1098 form for 9200 in interest. Can I claim the interest from the 1098 on my 2012 taxes?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm the tax-doctor.

Yes, provided both are for 2012. If interest pd 1099 is for 2011 then it gets included on your 2011 tax returns. If already filed you'd need to file amended 2011 returns.

If your require further assistance please ask and I'll follow-up back to you ASAP.
Only once fully satisfied with my answer should you rate it so that I'm pd for my answer.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They are both for 2012. I did not, however, pay any interest directly in 2012 as I did not make any mortgage payments. Do I get to deduct the interest regardless because of the interest being forgiven on the 1099-C? If not for the current law that excludes that from being counted as part of taxable income I would have to pay taxes on it so indirectly I would have payed that interest... is that correct?

Yes, that's correct. The amount being forgiving includes interest, so therefore may be deducted.
tax-doctor and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you