How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55136
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a client with a personal bad debt. it has been over

This answer was rated:

i have a client with a personal bad debt. it has been over a year and he can't collect. how do i handle this, or do i. thanks
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. How much is your client owed? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thanks for your follow up. Since his friend will not pay the debt voluntarily, he should file suit. Since the debt is in excess of the small claims court limit in KY ($2500), he will need to file this is a civil district court. The suit will give him the leverage and collection options he needs. Once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, and/or have the sheriff seize other property to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if he doesn't want to go the court route, which i dont think he does. can he take it as a capital loss on his tax return

Good morning. Did he loan money or did he perform services and did not get paid? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my client allowed this person to get a cell phone in his name with the understanding that the person would pay the bills for the phone use. he did not and owes my client over $3000 in phone bills, so it is a capital loss? thanks

Yes, in order to deduct this as a loss, he needs to show it is a worthless debt. So, unless the client is a deadbeat and has no assets, he should file the suit to show it's worthless. Otherwise, the IRS could challenge whether or not the debt is truly worthless.
Richard and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!

Related Tax Questions