Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I e-filed my return w/TaxAct Online. They rejected it due

I e-filed my return w/TaxAct...
I e-filed my return w/TaxAct Online. They rejected it due to my dependent entry. I went back and removed my dependent, changed my fiing status and e-filed again. The IRS accepted this return. I now have to ammend that return and include my dependent.
What documentation do I need to send the IRS along with my ammended return. My son is 23 years old, is not in school, did not work 1 day in 2012, and I contributed 100% of his and my support as head of household. What do I need?
2/2/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thanks for your question, and thanks for using justAnswer.com. When you amend your return you will not need to send documentation to the IRS of the reason that you made the change. You will simply change your dependent and filing status and resubmit. You will not be asked to provide documentation except in the very rare case that you are chosen for audit.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and have a happy, and safe, 2013.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer