How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3375
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

tax withheld on ss benefit to minor - benefit also received

This answer was rated:

tax withheld on ss benefit to minor - benefit also received by the parent - how to claim a refund - child income filed with parent or file a separate return?

Randalltax :

A child's income is never filed with the parent.


so a separate return

Randalltax :

I'm not sure why you elected to have a child's SS benefit have voluntary income tax taken out; unless the child has substantial other income, the Social Security benefit for a child is almost always tax free. The child would need to have an income besides SSA more than $10K.

Randalltax :

The child will have not taxable income, so a refund of all tax paid in would be expected. In addition, you should contact SSA to have the voluntary withholding stopped.

R. Klein, EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you