Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband and I both claimed HOH for 2011, due to a typo in

address and the preparer was...
My husband and I both claimed HOH for 2011, due to a typo in address and the preparer was unaware. We both received child tax credit. Me for my two children and him for his ONE child. I noticed the discrepancy while reviewing my taxes and would like to know if I should file an amendment and pay back whatever we were not eligible for or leave well enough alone.
2/1/2013
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent

Thank you for your question.

If you have filed an incorrect tax return, you should file an amended return to correct it.

You say you and your husband both filed as head of household....you may both need to file amended tax returns. If you were married and lived in the same home the last half of the year, neither of you can claim HOH. You can file MFJ or MFS.

The child tax credit may not be an issue but if there was earned income tax credit, that could be an issue.

If you need further clarification, please let me know.

I look forward to your response.

Stephanie

Forgive my ignorance. Are you able to view the returns? I am at a loss and really worried I will owe a lot of money :(

I think my tax rep is sketchy...

I don't suggest posting your information on the forum for me to review because this is a public forum. However, I do suggest finding a reputable EA or CPA in your area to review them and discuss your concerns.
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent