Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I live in New York city 40% of the time but have no income

generated in New York (my...
If I live in New York city 40% of the time but have no income generated in New York (my business is in California) what is my tax obligation to New York City and New York state?
2/1/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. If you were a part-year resident of New York and New York City, you will owe tax on the income that you received while you were a resident of New York or New York City. So, you will have to go back and think of when the time periods you were living in New York and New York City and pay tax on the income received there, even though it is California income.

In California, you will be given credit for the tax you paid to New York since that is your home state.

You can find resources for part year residents, here: http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/part_year_residents.htm

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a happy, and safe, 2013.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO XXXXX UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer