How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tax-doctor Your Own Question
tax-doctor, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 637
Experience:  Federal, State and local income tax preparation
Type Your Tax Question Here...
tax-doctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Railroad employee with a W-2. There are 3 entries

This answer was rated:

I have a Railroad employee with a W-2. There are 3 entries in box 14. The first 2 are RR tier 1 and RR tier 2. The one I don't understand says "med" Is there a place for this on the tax form or is it part of the new Obamacare reporting?

hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i'm the tax-doctor.

medicare tax & this amt isn't included on your tax form

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you need further assistance please feel free to ask and i'll follow-up back to you asap.

only once fully satisfied do I want you to rate my answer, so please hold-off rating till completely satisfied...thank you!

tax-doctor and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm still wondering what this amount is listed for? In case I run into it on other W-2's

are you also covered by social security?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No there are no amounts for social security or medicare, and no amounts for withholding for either of them on the W-2. There are RRTA 1 and 2 amounts (box 14) and amounts for 401K and Employer sponsored health coverage (box 12 entries)

line 14 is used by employers for a variety of different entries. the tier I & II entries are straight forward...the abbreviation they use are not always, most likely is a health insurance reference (not pre-tax payments). The only way to know for sure would be to contact your employer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You