How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I file joint returns. We both draw US Social Security.

This answer was rated:

My wife and I file joint returns. We both draw US Social Security. My wife, however is from Germany but is now a US citizen. Before moving to the US and becoming a US citizen, she worked in Germany as a German for German companies only working enough to be eligable for German SS. She became elegable for German SS at age 65 and drew her first entitlement in Jan 2012. Because she qualified for this benefit as a German is she required to report this money and if so, where and how do we report it. I use H & R Block tax software to do our taxes.

Thanks for using!


Issues of what country taxes income and how income is taxed between countries, is determined by tax treaty. The US-German tax treaty treats social security income earned from one country to a resident or citizen of the other country, as social security income from the resident country. This means that your wife will treat her German social security income as US social security income.


For entering the income in your tax software, you should combine the amount reported on your wife's SSA-1099 with the USD amount of German social security income. Enter the combined figure in the software's SSA-1099 box for gross social security benefits.


If there are additional questions or concerns, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further. If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent so that I may receive credit for my work. Thanks for your business. Source: (Article 19: Government Service: Social Security)

Phillip B, EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you