Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

OUR CHURCH PAYS OUR NEW PASTOR A SALARY OF $48,000. HE BREAKS

THAT DOWN BETWEEN HOUSING ALLOWANCE...
OUR CHURCH PAYS OUR NEW PASTOR A SALARY OF $48,000. HE BREAKS THAT DOWN BETWEEN HOUSING ALLOWANCE, ANNUITY AND SALARY.

WHEN I SET UP THE W-2 DOES THE HOUSING ALLOWANCE AND ANNUITY APPEAR IN BLOCK 1 WITH HIS SALARY?

WHEN SETTING UP AN EMPLOYEE IN QUICKBOOKS (A MINISTER), THE CHURCH IS PAYING HIM A SALARY OF $48,000. HE BREAKS THAT DOWN, WITH PART OF IT BEING A HOUSING ALLOWANCE AND PART OF IT BEING AN ANNUITY, THE REMAINDER BEING REGULAR SALARY.

DO I INCLUDE THE HOUSING ALLOWANCE IN BLOCK 1 OF THE W-2 OR NOT?
2/1/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

The housing allowance is always excluded from taxable income. This will NOT go in box 1. Instead, it will go in box 14, which is for informational purposes only.

Additional resources on this topic can be found, HERE.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a happy, and safe, 2013

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer