Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am married and file my taxes jointly. However, I claim single

I am married and file...
I am married and file my taxes jointly. However, I claim single with (2) dependents on my W-4 due to advice from payroll a long time ago? Is this appropriate/
2/1/2013
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

NPVAdvisor :

Hi I can help with this ...

NPVAdvisor :

No, its not inappropriate ... what you are doing is trying to get the withholding to the place where, by the end of the tax year, you haven't underpaid.

NPVAdvisor :

THAT's what will cause a problem .... If yo

NPVAdvisor :

sorry, If your spouse has a little too much withheld and you a little to little, everything comes out in the wash because the underpayment is measured by what happens on the joint return

NPVAdvisor :

And, of course, if you over-withhold you have that refund (which, financially, means you gave uncle sam an interest free loan for the year

NPVAdvisor :

Make sense?

Customer:

Thank you very much for your sensible and logical advice. Have a good night!

NPVAdvisor :

You're very welcome ...You too

NPVAdvisor :

If there IS nothing else ...

NPVAdvisor :

Positive Feedback (or an “Accept”) would be appreciated. That’s the ONLY way experts are paid!

However, if you need CLARIFICATION, please COME BACK here, AND feel free to bookmark.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS