Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

What should I say in my request for filing of a real estate

What should I say in my request for filing of a real estate tax abatement request. I have comps along with a BPO appraisal. My home presents to be disproportional in it's assessment and valued to high in comparison with similar homes in my area. what would be the best approach in checking off both the Disproportionate Assessment and the Overvaluation or only one of them? I am also taxed on wet land that I cannot do anything with. I appreciate your help. Lee

bkb1956 :

Thank you for allowing me to be of service to you regarding your tax question. My opinion would be to check off both the "Disproportionate Assessment" and the "Overvaluation." The application that you have will probably include a list of documents that will be required for them to consider your request. Am I correct in that assumption?

Customer:

It is what I thought to do in checking of both Disproportionate and overvaluation. If you could tell me what I should state in the reason explanation? thank you

bkb1956 :

You could say something like "Please consider this real estate tax abatement request inasmuch as I believe the assessment is disproportionate and overvalued as shown on the attached documents: BPO, comps for similar properties." Include any other documentation that they are calling for in the application. Let your documentation speak for itself.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck. Happy New Year. Lee

You're very welcome. If you have any questions in the future, please come back to me--BKB1956. Best of luck to you and Happy New Year!