Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I received a refund from the railroad covering a retirement

tax refund which included the interest...
I received a refund from the railroad covering a retirement tax refund which included
the interest - the accountant at the railroad advised to send a estimated tax payment for state and federal before Jan 15th - how do I figure out the tax percentage that I need to send in? thank you
Christine
1/4/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Calculating your tax depends on a variety of factors, and it's virtually impossible to calculate tax when you haven't seen someone's file. However, there is a free tool out there from Intuit called the TaxCaster, and it helps you calculate your estimated tax. Place your retiremement information in the IRA/Pension bucket. CLICK HERE

This will give you a rough estimate. Whatever the tax is for the year, subtract out what you have had withheld at work, and then the rest will what you should submit.

Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and have a happy and safe 2013.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer