How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15607
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a received a scoped audit. It wants proof from past

This answer was rated:

I have a received a scoped audit. It wants proof from past employment of 08,09 that i don't have to pay Gross tax on my independant contractor wages for that year. One of the employers for those years is in tax trouble and supposidly can't issue me a NTTC to clear me of the late fees and penaltys. We missed the dead line to have all arguments submitted.
Next step will be the final Assessment and demand for payment. what can i do to prevent having to pay excessive penalties and fees and Gross tax that I didn't know I would be liable for later on down the road.?

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Your tax professional should be able to advise on your protest rights but, you may dispute an assessment received by the Department or any provision of the Tax Administration Act in one of two ways: 1) by filing a written protest with the Secretary of Taxation and Revenue, or 2) by paying the tax liability and then filing a claim for refund.

You can request to have the penalties abated but not the interest. If they choose to allow the abatement a notice will be sent to you. As far as I can see that would be your only help because of the deadline being missed.

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you