Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

i have been on disability for the past 7 years and have not

filed a return. i...
i have been on disability for the past 7 years and have not filed a return. i currently receive $1700 per month and work a few hours per month and receive $75 per month. in order to eliminate a $900/ month spend down on my state health benefit benefit coverage, i need to show the state that $75 income and they verify it with the irs. my question is, what will happen when the irs suddenly receives a 2012 return from me?
1/3/2013
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent

Stephanie B. :

Thank you for your question.

If you were not required to file in the past, but then become required to file due to circumstances, nothing will happen to you. If the IRS questions this, which is not likely, then you simply provide them with the proof of income from the past that they request.

Customer:

the same would be true if i sent in 2011 also?

Stephanie B. :

If you have income that you should have reported in prior years, then you need to file the returns to report that income. The open years are currently 2009-2012, until April 15, 2013. Then 2009 will close.

What did you not report in 2011?

Customer:

the same info...the $1675 disability income and the $900 part time income.

Stephanie B. :

Is your part time income on a W-2 or self employment income?

Customer:

self employment

Stephanie B. :

Then you will have some self employment tax to pay on that $900. You owe self-employment tax on net earnings over $400 a year. Keep that in mind when you file the prior year returns. There will be penalty and interest for not filing timely and not paying timely as well as the tax.

You may be eligible for earned income credit but you may still owe a little tax. The self employment tax on $900 would be around $111.

Stephanie B. :

Are you still there?

Customer:

ok..based on your info i am going to send in my 2011..paying the tax and penalty is worth eliminating a 900 per month spend down on my insurance....so do you expect they will demand forms for the prior years of not filing? i was in terrible physical and psychological condition at that time and that's why i never filed.

Stephanie B. :

Did you have self-employment income in 09 and 10?

Customer:

no

Customer:

no only disability

Stephanie B. :

If you had only disability income in 2009 and 2010 that was social security disability, you would have not been required to file. If they send you a request to file, then you simply respond that you only had social security disability income during those years.

I don't expect you will have any issues though.

Customer:

ok great thank you stephanie

Stephanie B. :

You are very welcome!!

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent