How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sell things on ebay and I also work as an employee at a large

This answer was rated:

I sell things on ebay and I also work as an employee at a large retail chain. I was getting my receipts together and I remembered that I did buy some items at work that I resold online. I know that you are not supposed to do that i get an employee discount but I only did it a couple of times. With that said, will the IRS turn me in? I am scared that my work will find out and I will be in trouble? I guess its not against the law to resell things online but its against the companies policy to do so correct? Does the IRS enforce stuff like that that could get me in trouble or does everything stay between me and the IRS. I just don't want to get audited or something and have them see my employee discounts on the receipts. Please help!
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using Don't worry - the IRS couldn't care less about whether or not you used your employee discount. They won't call your employer or rat you out. All the IRS cares about is that you properly record your income and expenses.

If you were audited, they would not tell your employer. It's none of their concern.

So please, don't worry. I understand how this can be a stressful situation, but rest assured that the IRS is not going to contact your employer and tell them that you used a discount.

Thanks again for using and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Megan C and 6 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer