How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe Ohio State about $6000 in back income taxes. I am set

This answer was rated:

I owe Ohio State about $6000 in back income taxes. I am set up on a payment plan. The back taxes are for 2005 an 2007. I previously had back taxes for these two years with the IRS. I completed the forms, went on a payment plan and that is now settled. I am square with the IRS.

Right after I settle with the IRS, Ohio went me the delinquent notice. The problem is Ohio claims I did not pay any withholding. I was working in 2005 and I know my employer withheld taxes. The irs has records of my withholding, but I guess Ohio will not accept that. I have tried to get my W2,s from my former employer, even sent a check to their payroll company. But never got anything back.

Question. Is there anything else I can do or do I just pay up and forget it.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I realize it must be very frustrating. However, I don't think you should just "pay" taxes if you're certain you had withholding. Now, you need proof that state tax was withheld. If the IRS proof shows how much state income tax was withheld, then they should take that as proof. If not, hire a CPA or attorney to deal with the state on your behalf.

Order your wage and income transcript from the IRS - this should have the information from your W-2 on it. You can request this by mailing in form 4506-T and selecting box 8. CLICK HERE for that form. It will be much faster to get this from your former employer, if possible.

Also, your former employer should have those records for you. If you can physically go to the payroll office, I would consider doing so. Keep calling - get in touch with a manager. Do anything you can to get that W-2.

Another thought do you have your final pay stub for the year in question? That would give you valuable proof as well. Take a look in your financial records and see if maybe you are lucky and still have that proof.

So, what you should do is continue trying to get your W-2 from your former employer. Then, you should also get what information you can from the IRS regarding your withholding. Don't just "give up" and pay more tax than you have to.

Please let me know if you need any additional assistance in this matter. Good luck, and I hope that your tax issues are resolved quickly and to your favor.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Megan C and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. Also if you ever need anything else in the future please Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer