How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3375
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i file with the DOL for an exemption from section 4975.

Customer Question

how do i file with the DOL for an exemption from section 4975. I am a lawyer with an individual 401(k) plan and would like to be able to perform the legal services necessary for my 401(k) such as evictions on property owned by the 401(k) and collections of defaulted notes owned by it.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 4 years ago.
I believe this is what you may be looking for:

On August 10, 1990, the department adopted a final exemption procedure detailing the steps to be taken by applicants in applying for an exemption and the steps normally taken by the department in considering the applications. With adoption of those procedures, the department believes the process for reviewing exemption applications can be expedited.


Questions or requests for advice about an exemption or application should be put in writing and directed to the:

U.S. Department of Labor
Employee Benefits Security Administration
Office of Exemption Determinations
200 Constitution Avenue, NW, Suite N-5649
Washington, DC 20210