How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55147
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received an office audit for my 2011 return. They are wanting

This answer was rated:

I received an office audit for my 2011 return. They are wanting documentation on business expenses on Schedule C. - why did I use the amount for start up costs. When reviewing my 2010 and 2011 taxes I see that I filled out two schedule C's for both these years and it wasn't caught on turbo tax. I meant to only fill out 1 schedule C per year. I would like to correct that. I also see where my mistakes are and would like to fix those. By doing so would cost me and would have to pay a portion back of the refund which would be paying back 2000.00 - How should I approach this mistake with the auditor? Do I just amend?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Although you have the right to amend your return at any time during the 3 year statute of limitations period, once you have been audited, at this point, it's best that you either amend the return and submit it to your auditor or at least send them a letter of explanation that know you made a mistake when completing your return on TurboTax and are filing or have filed an amended return. You want to keep your auditor informed of your actions so you have coordination with the IRS on what's going on with your return. The IRS will evaluate your amended return and then determine what, if any, additional adjustments may be required. The main thing is to keep your auditor informed of what you are doing...whether you have filed the amended return directly or are submitting to the IRS through your auditor.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!

I want to follow up a bit on what I mentioned above to make sure I was clear. At this stage, I would recommend that of the two options that you submit your amended return directly to your auditor. You can do it the other way, but as I mention, the key is the coordination with your auditor and you can insure that any confusion will be minimized by submitting directly to the auditor. I've had clients do it both way, but if you file the amended return directly to the IRS, even though you explain what you did to your auditor, there is a higher potential of confusion.