Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What is IRS form CVL-PEN?

IRS Form CVL-PEN is not a standard form per se. It's the assessment of a civil penalty. What this means is that the IRS is making you pay a civil penalty for doing something wrong.

There are many reasons that this can occur. In many cases, it can be the result of not paying 941 quarterly payroll taxes in a timely manner. It can also be assessed for failing to file, filing a false return, or a host of any other things on the IRS's list of no-nos.

We can't determine why you received the letter - you would need to contact the number on the notice or call 1 - 800 - 829 - 1040 to speak with an IRS representative.

Read full interaction below »

What is IRS Form CVL-PEN? What does it mean?

12/14/2012
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

IRS Form CVL-PEN is not a standard form per se, it's the assessment of a civil penalty. What this means is that the IRS is making you pay a civil penalty for doing something wrong.