How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3117
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an expat tax question in regard to AMT

This answer was rated:

I am reading the KPMG link, which is very helpful. I have a question about Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT). My wife and I are expats. If my wife and I are making qualified annual foreign income of approximately 100k each, and we will be filing jointly, if after our foreign earned income exclusion is taken, will we have to pay tax due to the AMT? We will only be taking out standard deductions and not itemizing. If we do owe AMT, why so, and how it this figured?

emc011075 :

Hi. There are some deductions and credit that will trigger AMT but foreign income exclusion is not one of them. High number of personal exceptions, significant state and local taxes, lots of medical expenses and reimbursed medical expenses, ISO - incentive stock options, lots of long term capital gains and high interest on second mortgage are most common triggers. Most of them are related to Itemized deduction (or Schedule A). Because several major tax legislation are still to be passed, reliable data to determine if your 2012 tax return will qualify for AMT or not are currently not available. IRS website offer free AMT Assistant, or calculator, that will help you with AMT calculation:

emc011075 :

The calculator is relatively easy to use and it is available for 2009 - 2011 tax years. It is form of online interview, 100% confidential, no need to identify yourself.

emc011075 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you