Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Alice J. and Bruce M. Byrd are married taxpayers who file a

joint return. Their Social Security...
Alice J. and Bruce M. Byrd are married taxpayers who file a joint return. Their Social Security numbers are XXX-XX-XXXX and XXX-XX-XXXX, respectively. Alice’s birthday is XXXXX 21, 1963, and Bruce’s is June 27, 1962. They live atXXXXX Ames, MA 01850. Alice is the office manager for Ames Dental Clinic,XXXXX Ames, Ma 01850(employer identification number 98-765432). Bruce is the manager of a Super Burger fast-food outlet owned and operated by Plymouth Corporation,XXXXX Hauppauge, NY 11788 (employer identification number 11-1111111). The following information is shown on their Wage and Tax Statements ( Form W-2) for 2010. Line Description Alice Bruce 1 Wages, tips, other compensation $52,600 $61,500 2 Federal income tax withheld 4,180 5,990 3 Social Security wages 52,600 61,500 4 Social Security tax withheld 3,261 3,813 5 Medicare wages and tips 52,600 61,500 6 Medicare tax withheld 763 892 15 State Massachusetts Massachusetts 16 State wages, tips, etc. 52,600 61,500 17 State income tax withheld 2,280 2,990 The Byrds provide over half of the support of their two children, Cynthia (born January 25, 1986, Social Security number XXX-XX-XXXX) and John (born February 7, 1990, social Security number XXX-XX-XXXX. Both children are full-time students and live with the Byrds except when they are away at college. Cynthia earned $3,700 from a summer internship in 2010, and John earned $3,400 from a part-time job. During 2010, the Byrds furnished 60% of the total support of Bruce’s widower father, Sam Byrds ( born March 6, 1934, Social Security number XXX-XX-XXXX). XXXXX XXXXXved alone and covered the rest of his support with Social Security benefits. Sam died in November, and Bruce, the beneficiary of a policy on Sam’s life, received life insurance proceeds of $600,000 on December 28. The Byrds had the following expenses relating to their personal residence during 2010: Property taxes $4,720 Qualified interest on home mortgage 9,130 Repairs of roof 4,780 Utilities 3,810 Fire and theft insurance 2,290 The following facts relate to medical expenses for 2010: Medical insurance premiums $4,380 Doctor bill for Sam incurred in 2009 and not paid until 2010 7,760 Operation for Sam 7,310 Prescription medicines for Sam 860 Hospital expenses for Sam 2,850 Reimbursement from insurance company, received in 2010 3,000 The medical expenses for Sam represent most of the 60% Bruce contributed toward his father’s support. Other relevant information follows: • When they filed their 2009 state return in 2010, the Byrds paid additional state income tax of $950. • During 2010, Alice and Bruce attended a dinner dance sponsored by the Ames police Disability Association ( a qualified charitable organization). The Byrds paid $400 for the tickets. The cost of comparable entertainment would normally be $160. • The Byrds contributed $4,800 to Ames Presbyterian Church and gave used clothing (cost of $1,100 and fair market value of $450) to the Salvation Army. All donations are supported by receipts and are in very good condition. • In 2010, the Byrds received interest income of $2,695, which was reported on a Form 1099-INT from Second National Bank. • Alice’s employer requires that all employees wear uniforms to work. During 2010, Alice spent $482 on new uniforms and $211 on laundry charges. • Bruce paid $320 for an annual subscription to the Journal of Franchise Management. • Neither Alice’s nor Bruce’s employer reimburses for employee expenses. • The Byrds do not keep the receipts for the sales taxes they paid and had no major purchases subject to sales tax. • Alice and Bruce paid no estimated Federal income tax. Neither Alice nor Bruce wishes to designate $3 to the Presidential Election Campaign Fund. In the interest of privacy and to protect against taxpayer identification misuse, Social Security numbers used throughout the textbook have been replaced with fictitious numbers. Part 1 - Tax Computation Compute net tax payable or refund due for Alice and Bruce Byrd for 2010. If they have overpaid, they want the amount to be refunded to them. If you use tax forms for your computations, you will need Forms 1040 and 2106 and Schedules A, B and M
12/5/2012
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Thanks for asking today. I will be glad to diagnose this sample tax return. I notice you are asking about TY 2010, so we get that part correct.

In order to assist, and see what is different, can you please provide line-by-line entries on Page 2 of the 1040 main form (only non-zero lines). Then I can more easily find your error.

CORRECTION - this is actually for tax year 2011

38. 116795

40. 36260

41. 80535

42. 14800

43. 65735

44. 9009

46. 9009

55. 9009

61. 9009

62. 10170

72. 10170

73 & 74a - 1161

This may not be the same anwer I supplied in my original question, I am still continuing to work on it, trying to figure out what I'm not understanding. Thanks.

I did get 1266.

The first difference is 700 too little on Line 40. This comes from Sched A

This is what you should have on Sched A

Line 4 11400
Line 9 10940
Line 15 5490

Please show me the calculation you used to get 10940 for line 9.

this is my calculation on schedule A

line 5 income taxes 5520 (2290+2280+950)

line 6 real estate taxes 4720

Total = 10240

you math is a little strange on Line 5
If you add those numbers up, you don't get 5520. You have the right numbers, just not the right total.

Below is copied and pasted directly from the excel spreadsheet I am using. Please explain to me what is not correct, as well as how you reached your total that is $700 more than my total. Thank you.

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="403">

2290

Bruce State taxes

2280

Alice State taxes

950

Additional state taxes paid

5520

TOTAL

Garbage In: Garbage Out

Bruce's state taxes are 2990, not 2290, per your original question.
Probably a typo, but you can see how one wrong data entry makes a big difference.

No, it wasn't a type, apparently I was using the wrong number and kept overlooking it. The correct number is XXXXX - that's exactly what my error was. I guess I need someone to proof my work and verify my numbers. Thank you.

OK. Glad we were able to find it and resolve.

If this has been helpful, kindly provide positive feedback so we can continue to serve you!
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent