How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

You cant claim spouse as dependent, correct? What about using

This answer was rated:

You can't claim spouse as dependent, correct? What about using Head of household instead of filing married filing jointly?

Although a spouse is not technically a dependent when married filing joint there is allowed an exemption amount to be deducted from income the same as if the spouse was claimed (regardless whether or not the spouse has any income).

Head of household is not proper instead of married filing joint and will likely result in more income tax due on the same income due to the tax tables having higher tax on the same income.

The best and most proper manner is to use married filing joint.

Please ask if you need more discussion.
Thank you.
jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you