How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55138
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I run a booth at a local faire for 2 months a year. I have

Customer Question

Hi, I run a booth at a local faire for 2 months a year. I have a few artists who sell their wares at our booth and are charged 25% as a fee. I collect all the payments and cut them a check for 75% of the total. What am I obligated to file tax wise?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. The best way to report this would be report this on Schedule C to your Form 1040. On Schedule C, you would include all the revenue and then reduce that by the 75% paid to the artists. The result would then be that the 25% net that you retain would be carried over to the first page of your Form 1040.

Thank you so
much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I've done my best to provide information which
will be helpful to you.
If I have not
fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I
have misinterpreted your questions in any way,
please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so
I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer
. If I have fully answered your
question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service
with 3, 4, or 5
faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to
provide me a positive rating!

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
One other thing I should mention: You will also want to issue a 1099MISC for over $600 in payments to your artists.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

I see that you have given me a bad rating. I
pride myself on providing full and complete information so I can fully satisfy
my customers. If I have misinterpreted your question in any way or not fully
responded, I ask that you please give me an opportunity to address any of those
matters until you are fully satisfied. Otherwise, I would appreciate you
reconsidering your rating to change it to a 3, 4, or 5 so I can get credit for
helping you today. Thank you in advance for that consideration!

Related Tax Questions