How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I sold stocks this year to pay downpayment on a new house.

Customer Question

Hi, I sold stocks this year to pay downpayment on a new house. I estimated what capital gains would be and prepaid Fed Taxes after we purchased our home. However, I did not prepay state (CA) taxes. Should I pre-pay before the end of the year state capital gain tax as well?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Phillip B, EA replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using!

California is a pay-as-you-go tax system. This means you should pay your CA estimated income tax before the of the year to avoid (or lessen) the CA estimated tax penalty. See this CA Franchise Tax Board webpage to see tips on calculating your CA estimated taxes.

If there are other questions, please reply to my answer so that I can assist you further. If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent Service so that I can be paid. Thanks for your business.