How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Arizona and will be itemizing my taxes this year.

This answer was rated:

I live in Arizona and will be itemizing my taxes this year. Single with no dependents, making $60K pre tax. I was going to do the Arizona Private Education Scholarship Fund tax credit. They are qualified as a charitable organization on the IRS site. This year you can give $503 plus an additional $500 as a single taxpayer and get the credit given right back to you if you paid that much or more in taxes. Can I receive this credit from Arizona state and then also take a deduction on the $1003 off my federal taxes. Their website alludes to the possibility of it but I have been reading quite bit on IRS.GOV and see donations as tuition as being an exclusion of using it as a deduction. I am not sure if that is only the case if it is for a specific child or family member. I am not specifying a certain child of who this money would go to, just a donation to the organization in general. If not are there any credits in AZ yo can apply for which you can also deduct off your federal taxes for a charitable contribution.
Thanks for using!

It appears that you could take both AZ credits, along with a charitable Federal contribution deduction for the funds donated to th AZ private education scholarship fund. The fact that you are not donating the money for a specific child doesn't change your situation.

If there are any further questions or concerns, please reply to my answer so that I can assist you further.

If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent Service so that I may be paid. Thanks for your business.
Phillip B, EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you