Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in Arizona and will be itemizing my taxes this year.

Single with no dependents, making...
I live in Arizona and will be itemizing my taxes this year. Single with no dependents, making $60K pre tax. I was going to do the Arizona Private Education Scholarship Fund tax credit. They are qualified as a charitable organization on the IRS site. This year you can give $503 plus an additional $500 as a single taxpayer and get the credit given right back to you if you paid that much or more in taxes. Can I receive this credit from Arizona state and then also take a deduction on the $1003 off my federal taxes. Their website alludes to the possibility of it but I have been reading quite bit on IRS.GOV and see donations as tuition as being an exclusion of using it as a deduction. I am not sure if that is only the case if it is for a specific child or family member. I am not specifying a certain child of who this money would go to, just a donation to the organization in general. If not are there any credits in AZ yo can apply for which you can also deduct off your federal taxes for a charitable contribution.
12/3/2012
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

It appears that you could take both AZ credits, along with a charitable Federal contribution deduction for the funds donated to th AZ private education scholarship fund. The fact that you are not donating the money for a specific child doesn't change your situation.

If there are any further questions or concerns, please reply to my answer so that I can assist you further.

If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent Service so that I may be paid. Thanks for your business.
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent