How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12456
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are foreign per diem amounts (meals, lodging and travel) to

This answer was rated:

Are foreign per diem amounts (meals, lodging and travel) to be included in foreign income for tax purposes?

First it depends on whether the plan is an accountable per diem plan or not. The IRS says that it is, if it meets three requirements.

From IRS:

To be an accountable plan, your employer's reimbursement or allowance arrangement must include all of the following rules.

"Your expenses must have a business connection — that is, you must have paid or incurred deductible expenses while performing services as an employee of your employer.

You must adequately account to your employer for these expenses within a reasonable period of time.

You must return any excess reimbursement or allowance within a reasonable period of time."

If you don't meet the conditions for an accountable plan, the plan is called "non-accountable," and all reimbursements, not just "excess" reimbursements, may be subject to tax..... to you the employee.

On the foreign issue all U.S. citizens must pay tax on all worldwide income. And if you are working for a US company while traveling overseas you pay income on that as well.

So it' really the meeting of the accountable plan conditions that determine taxation.

Hope this helps


Positive feedback, or an accept is appreciated. It's the only way we're paid. HOWEVER, if you need clarification come back here.

Lane and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thanks much.

If I can be of any further help, let me on know.