How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3737
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you assisted an IRS representative investigate and sent

This answer was rated:

If you assisted an IRS representative investigate and sent a tax evader to prison, is there a reward for the individual?
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

The IRS has a program called the whistleblower program.

How it works is that the IRS Whistleblower Office pays money to people who blow the whistle on persons who fail to pay the tax that they owe. If the IRS uses information provided by the whistleblower, it can award the whistleblower up to 30 percent of the additional tax, penalty and other amounts it collects.

Following is some information regarding rewards

Who can get an award?

The IRS may pay awards to people who provide specific and credible information to the IRS if the information results in the collection of taxes, penalties, interest or other amounts from the noncompliant taxpayer.


The IRS is looking for solid information, not an “educated guess” or unsupported speculation. We are also looking for a significant Federal tax issue - this is not a program for resolving personal problems or disputes about a business relationship.

You can refer to the following IRS webpage for more information regarding the program:

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Elaine,

Please allow me a few minutes to find out if there is a SOL period. I will get back with you shortly. Thank you for your patience.
Tax.appeal.168 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your patience. Based on what I have read, there does not appear to be an SOL period. However, it is at the discretion of the IRS if an award is granted. To apply for an award, you will need to complete the IRS Form 211:

I referred to the following IRS webpage:

Have a happy and safe holiday season.