How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave CPA Your Own Question
Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 840
Experience:  Vast knowledge within the accounting/tax industry
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dave CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of our employees completed a 5 month govt contract. Can

This answer was rated:

One of our employees completed a 5 month gov't contract. Can I expense rent or hotel, meals, gas, etc. for the entire 5 months? If not, how long or what percent? And please reference the IRS section in your answer for my records. Thank you!
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

If the assignment or job is away from your main place of work the job is temporary, your tax home does not change and you can deduct. You are considered to be away from home for the whole period you are away from your main place of work. You can deduct your travel expenses if they otherwise qualify for deduction. Generally, a temporary assignment in a single location is one that is realistically expected to last (and does in fact last) for 1 year or less.

You can deduct the expense you have listed and probably more. There is a 50% limit on the meals. I have enclosed the IRS publication on this topic. Each type of expense is explained in detail in regards XXXXX XXXXX

Please let me know if you have any questions before you rate my answer. A positive rating is what I strive for
Dave CPA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you