How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When can I file my taxes

This answer was rated:

When can I file my taxes
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.

You can technically file your tax 2012 return on Jan 1, 2013--providing all the forms that you need are available. However, the IRS does not start accepting returns filed electronically until approximately the end of the second week of January. So, you could file a paper return on Jan 1, but it would take longer to process than an efiled return that you file on Jan 15th. If you use a tax preparer who efiles returns, then the preparer will hold your return until the IRS begins accepting the efiled returns, so you can have your return prepared sooner than the 15th.

Please let me know if you need additional assistance.
Wendy Reed and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you