Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

New Jersey Claim on TSP withdrawals

Hi! I've been a New...

Hi! I've been a New Jersey resident for my entire USPS career. I just read an expert's answer on New Jersey Taxation on TSP withdrawals, so I understand how NJ taxes a portion of TSP withdrawals. I am officially retiring. After I separate from Service, I plan to move to New Hampshire where there is no State Income Tax. Will New Jersey have any claim on my TSP withdrawals "after" i establish a legal New Hampshire residence?

11/15/2012
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
New Jersey nonresidents are taxed on their income from New Jersey sources. Retirement recieved by a Nonresident of New Jersey generated form work while a New Jersey resident is not taxable to New Jersey. In short no, your pension is not taxable to NJ if you become a Non resident.
You may need to file a Nonresident NJ return if any NJ withholding is shown on your 10999R.

Customer:

Thank you!

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4