How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15180
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

New Jersey Claim on TSP withdrawals

This answer was rated:

Hi! I've been a New Jersey resident for my entire USPS career. I just read an expert's answer on New Jersey Taxation on TSP withdrawals, so I understand how NJ taxes a portion of TSP withdrawals. I am officially retiring. After I separate from Service, I plan to move to New Hampshire where there is no State Income Tax. Will New Jersey have any claim on my TSP withdrawals "after" i establish a legal New Hampshire residence?

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
New Jersey nonresidents are taxed on their income from New Jersey sources. Retirement recieved by a Nonresident of New Jersey generated form work while a New Jersey resident is not taxable to New Jersey. In short no, your pension is not taxable to NJ if you become a Non resident.
You may need to file a Nonresident NJ return if any NJ withholding is shown on your 10999R.


Thank you!

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you