How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3557
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i purchased a home in south africa recently. can i write some

This answer was rated:

i purchased a home in south africa recently. can i write some of the purchase off on my 2012 united states taxes.
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

In order to better assist you, I need a bit more information.

1) Are you a U.S. Citizen?

As a U.S. citizen you are able to deduct mortgage interest, points, and property taxes on the Form Schedule A. As for deducting any part of the purchase price, you will not be able to do that. You can read more detailed information relating to mortgage interest deduction in IRS Pub 936:

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Tax.appeal.168 and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, i'm a u.s. citizen.


Thank you for the positive rating. Again, as a U.S.citizen, you are able to take the deductions previously mentioned. Note that the deductions that I mentioned apply annually as long as you incur them. Please refer to the publication that I referenced for more detailed information regarding the cap on mortgage interest deduction.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.