How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a webcam model for a website. I have been camming for 7

Customer Question

Hi, I am a webcam model for a website. I have been camming for 7 months [since last May]. I am 19, from California. By the end of the year I will have made approx 8200 dollars. This is just a part time job, max 4 hours a day and temporary. I will be stopping in February of '13. Because this income is not reoccuring, I won't be making it annually, is it possible that I put this under other income? If not, what taxes will I be expected to pay on that income?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Phillip B, EA replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using!

Unfortunately, this income will need to be treated as self-employment income and you will have to pay self-employment tax. The self-employment tax is social security tax and medicare tax for small business owners. Anytime you work for someone and they do not give you a W-2, you are treated as if you are a small-business owner. The tax rate is 13.3% of your net modeling income (the total 8,200 dollars minus deductible work expenses). This tax is completely different from regular income taxes.

Unless you have other taxable income, there will not be any Federal income taxes due because your total income is lower than your standard deduction and your exemption.

There is good news about the self-employment income though, you will be able to deduct some of your unreimbursed work related expenses. This will reduce your self-employment tax. For example, you may be able to deduct a portion of your rent and utilities if there is a space in your home that you use exclusively for your modelling work. Other deductible expenses may include, internet fees, depreciation on your computer and camera equipment, etc. This IRS publication will be a useful guide for your deductible work expenses ( It may be advisable to find a local CPA, enrolled agent, or register tax return preparer when you prepare your 2012 tax return in 2013.

If there are other questions and concerns, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further. If you find that you are unsatisfied, please reply to this answer before rating my performance so that I may address your concerns or opt out so that a different professional may assist you.

If this answers your question, please rate my performance between Ok and Excellent so that I may be paid. Thanks again for using
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

And how much will regular income taxes take from me?

Expert:  Phillip B, EA replied 4 years ago.
Unless your total income is more than 9,750 (higher if you are married, or have children) your income is low enough to keep you from having any regular income taxes. The only tax will be self-employment tax of 13.3% net modeling income.

If there is other income, let me know what the other income is I can help you get a decent estimate.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No other income other than a job I held for like 2 months at a Chipotle. But they did withheld taxes before my deposit so I dont think that should matter?

Expert:  Phillip B, EA replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Most likely, you will have minimal to zero regular tax. I would bet that you will have zero regular tax.

As you prepare to file your returns, start to consider what expenses you have that are for work only (clothing will not be deductible) and gather receipts and and bills related to those expenses. At tax time, have a qualified tax professional work with you to help go through those expenses with you to determine what is deductible, and what is not.

Let me know if there is anything else. If not, please remember to rate my performance.

Thank you.