Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in Arizona and am considering on getting married. I

Customer Question
am currently receiving social security...
I live in Arizona and am considering on getting married. I am currently receiving social security disability benefits, I am not receiving SSI. Will my disability benefit be reduced or affected by my soon to be wife and will I be required to pay taxes on my benefit. I currently pay no taxes at this time since my social security disability is my only income.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
11/3/2012
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 5 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
If you get married your base amount for the Socila Security would change if you had any other income besides teh SS payments. The base amount is what determines if any of your SS is taxable to you.
The base amounts are half of your SS and then all of your other income.

• $25,000 if you are single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er),

• $25,000 if you are married filing separately and lived apart from your spouse for all of 2012,

• $32,000 if you are married filing jointly, or

• $-0- if you are married filing separately and lived with your spouse at any time during 2012.
    If SS is your only income then you are not required to add that amount to any income of your new spouse. Your new spouse can file Married Filing Separate (if they have income) and you are not required to be included in their income.

Robin D :

The other questions you had about a reduction in your payments are not tax related.

You may be having trouble see the answer in the CHAT mode. Here is a copy:
Welcome to live chat!

To respond to this question from Customer, enter your response below. If the customer status is Standing By, the customer is in the waiting room and will join you in chat as soon as you post a response. If the status is Offline, the customer will receive an email notification of your reply.

Post a short reply right now to quickly engage with the customer and chat back and forth until the answer is complete. Robin D says: 10:51 AM

If you get married your base amount for the Social Security would change if you had any other income besides the SS payments. The base amount is what determines if any of your SS is taxable to you.

10:51 AM Customer has entered this chat! 10:51 AM Customer has stepped out of this chat. Robin D says: 10:52 AM

I am happy you were able to view the answer finally.

Customer Last Viewed on 11/3/2012 at 11:11 AM
Let me know if you need clarification.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4