How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 11833
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a us expats with a dual citizin I became a us citizin

Customer Question

I am a us expats with a dual citizin I became a us citizin since 10 years and never worked in the us or file a tax return as a matter of facts I just recently knew I am obligated to file tax return therefore,I seek helpe with what to do and if diss missing my citizn and avoid going through any kind of troble
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 4 years ago.

For the citizenship renunciation to be legal, you must do the following:



Appear (in person) before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer.



Further, it must done IN a foreign country ... So a good way to do this is at a U.S embassy or consulate's office.



And you must sign an oath of renunciation.




And finally, you should have some help you (at the embassy, they may be able to direct you to someone) to get the past tax returns done and see if you owe anything.