How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WebCPA Your Own Question
WebCPA, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 111
Experience:  Licensed CPA. 10+ years experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
WebCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2011 we converted our business from a Partnership to a LLC

This answer was rated:

In 2011 we converted our business from a Partnership to a LLC The nature of the business is to buy, rent, and sell real estate. We used the same EIN from the Partnership when we formed the LLC, and by default, we electing to be taxed as a Partnership on the federal and state tax return for the LLC. Our reason for maintaining the same EIN number was, hopefully, to avoid filing two separate 1065 Forms with the IRS, and also to continue depreciating the assets listed in the partnership without having to close-out all of the depreciated items and re-list them in the LLC. Can we file one form 1065 and include the organizational fees payed to the State as well as other expenses incurred in setting up the new LLC, or do we have to file a 1065 for the old partnership as well as for the new LLC?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I'll do my best to provide an informative answer. Please let me know if you need any clarification.


Good news - you did not screw-up. You can still file a partnership under the original EIN. And yes, you can include the organizational fees paid to the state as well as other related expenses on the LLC tax return. Only one return is needed, and all depreciation will continue on as if nothing ever changed. You may want to check the "name change" box on the 1065 to indicate the new name (now ending in ", LLC").


You may find this link helpful as well:


Please let me know if you need additional clarification.

Kind regards

WebCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions