Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am employing a part time person starting now. I will be

I am employing a part...
I am employing a part time person starting now. I will be paying him $1500 a month. What do i need to do to take out the appropriate fica?
11/1/2012
Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant

Welcome to Just Answer,

Social security and Medicare tax for 2012. The employee tax rate for social security is 4.2% on wages paid and tips received before March 1, 2012. The employee tax rate for social security increases to 6.2% on wages paid and tips received after February 29, 2012. The employer tax rate for social security remains unchanged at 6.2%. The social security wage base limit is $110,100.

The Medicare tax rate is 1.45% each for the employee and employer, unchanged from 2011. There is no wage base limit for Medicare tax.Employers should implement the 4.2% employee social security tax rate as soon as possible, but not later than January 31, 2012.

There are two deposit schedules-monthly and semiweekly-for determining when you deposit social security, Medicare, and withheld income taxes. These schedules tell you when a deposit is due after a tax liability arises (for example, when you have a payday). Before the beginning of each calendar year, you must determine which of the two deposit schedules you are required to use. The deposit schedule you must use is based on the total tax liability you reported on Form 941 during a lookback period discussed next. Your deposit schedule is not determined by how often you pay your employees or make deposits.

New employers. Your tax liability for any quarter in the lookback period before you started or acquired your business is considered to be zero. Therefore, you are a monthly schedule depositor for the first calendar year of your business.

Below is a useful publication for someone whom has to employees

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf

Please let me know if you have any questions before you rate my answer. A positive rating is what I strive for.

Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant
Dave CPA
Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant