Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

having received a check from My Mothers estate, do I have

having received a check from...
having received a check from My Mother's estate, do I have to pay taxes on that?
11/1/2012
Richard, Tax Attorney

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. No...this will not be taxable. The North Carolina has no inheritance tax; there is an estate tax but it has an exemption of $5,120,000 ...which is the same as the Federal exemption. You wouldn't owe the estate tax in any case and there is no inheritance tax.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
seems
more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information
and not
specific advice.
If you
have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between
your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or
taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney