How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am paying for over half of my daughters expenses, but due

This answer was rated:

I am paying for over half of my daughter's expenses, but due to my work shift, she does not live with me. Can I legally claim her as a dependent?
Thanks for using!

Ordinarily, no. The general rule gives the exemption to the custodial parent as long as the child didn't provide more than half of the child's own support. The custodial parent is the person who has the child physically present in their home for more than half the year.

However, given the fact that you did pay a large majority of expenses, you can request that the custodial parent sign the exemption over to you on form 8332. This would allow you to claim the exemption and the child tax credit associated with your child. The custodial parent would keep the right to claim the earned income credit and the child care credit associated with the child.

If there are any other questions, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further.

If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent so that I may be paid.
Phillip B, EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you