How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

US tax law question Re: Circular 230 Circular 230 section

This answer was rated:

US tax law question Re: Circular 230

Circular 230 section 10.7(c)(1)(vii) states " Any individual may represent an individual or entity before personnel of the IRS when such representation occurs outside the United States."

My question is if I an a citizen and resident of Canada and my client is also does that constitute representation outside the USA.

This section of the circular is broadly worded and no one that works in customer service at the IRS can answer this question on where the representation occurs. One answer was if the tax refund is issued in the USA then representation is in the USA but mostly "good question ??" Somehow I think representation means where the representative or taxpayer is not where the tax return is processed.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

You are reading the question correctly. However, to represent any person other than yourself you will need to provide the IRS a properly completed Power of Attorney. The form and its instructions are available at the following link:,-Power-of-Attorney-and-Declaration-of-Representative-1

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I am aware of the 2848 and always assumed that the representation was outside the US. So just to confirm where both I and the client are foreign nationals the representation is outside the US.

Yes it is but it will either be handled through the mail or at a US office.
CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you