Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a traditional IRA that indicates my Dividends are tax-deferred.

I receive a form from my...
I have a traditional IRA that indicates my Dividends are tax-deferred. I receive a form
from my investment company every year that shows my investments and I was
wondering if I need to show it to my tax person, so it can be included with my tax
return forms?
10/14/2012
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent
No, you do not have to show it to your tax person because any dividends earned on investments in your IRA are not currently taxable and should not be included on your tax return. I am assuming that the IRA trustee did not report the dividends on a 1099. If they were included on a previous return then there may still be time (depending on the number of years ago that the return was filed) to file an amended tax return and obtain a refund.
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Bill
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent