Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

i mailed my income tax return to the irs in February, but have

not received the return. How...
i mailed my income tax return to the irs in February, but have not received the return. How can i find out if the irs actually received my tax return form?
10/3/2012
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

If you expect a refund, use this website: http://www.irs.gov/Refunds

It's very easy to use. You just need to pull a couple of numbers off of your tax return.

Also, see this piece fro the Motley Fool website. (Apparently, even if you don't expect a refund, you can use the site to confirm receipt opf return.

I discovered this AM that you can confirm receipt of your return using the IRS "Where's My Refund?" program even if you don't have a refund coming. Just enter $1.00 as the expected refund amount. It should tell you the return has been received and is being processed.

I've always used this program when I was expecting a refund. If no refund was due, I just watched for my check to clear to confirm the return had been received. This year I had no refund due and paid the balance due via EFTPS. Only after I'd mailed the return did it occur to me I wouldn't know if the return wasn't received until a delinquent notice arrived. Happily the IRS program works even when you owe taxes. I'd suggest waiting a couple weeks after mailing before trying it though.

Here's the link: http://boards.fool.com/confirming-irs-receipt-of-return-26431795.aspx?sort=whole

And finally, as mentioned above, if you paid by check, you can call your bank to see if the check has cleared.

So, that should cover all three possibilities; (1) expecting a refund, (2) paid by check (3) Paid by EFTPS

Hope this helps!

Lane

(Positive feedback appreciated, BUT, if you need further clarification, come back here)

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Thanks for the feedback.

Good luck with everything.

If I can find ANY other alternatives, I'll come back here and post.

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS