How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 39042
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am single & 70 years old, born in 1942. I received $27,066.00

This answer was rated:

I am single & 70 years old, born in 1942. I received $27,066.00 in social securityin 2011. I had additional income, beyond social security, in 2011 of $41,941.00. What is my "gross adjusted income(line 37 0f form 1040).

The total exemtions on form 1040, line 40 & 42, is $21,463.00. How much do I owe in taxes based on the information provided above.

Give me a few minutes, and I'll run a quick tax return.
I'm sorry, but I forgot to ask, what is the source of your additional income (interest, dividends, capital gains, earnings from wages, rental income, royalties, gambling, hobby, self employment, government pension, private annuity, etc.)?

If from more than one source, please break it down for me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Source of income as listed on form 1040

Line 7 wages $5,400.00

Line 8A taxable interest 480.00

Line17 Rental income,...S corpartions... $41,941.00


Okay, based on your inputs, I find that your Line 37 Gross Adjusted Income is: $70,827

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

socrateaser and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you