Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is there a California election to report several states income

on a Trust Beneficiary's Form...
Is there a California election to report several states income on a Trust Beneficiary's Form K-1 only on the California Individual Tax Return? Or, am I reguired to file a tax return in multiple states, as many as 20.
10/2/2012
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
No there is not. If there is income attributable to different states the K1 recipient would need to file as a nonresident in the states listed. The resident state will generally give a tax crdeit for any tax that is paid by their resident to a nonresident state. Each states filing requirements would also need to be looked at t see if the individual was required to file. Normally thi sis based on income.

Robin D says: 10/2/12 4:04 PM

No there is not. If there is income attributable to different states the K1 recipient would need to file as a nonresident in the states listed. The resident state will generally give a tax credit for any tax that is paid by their resident to a nonresident state. Each states filing requirements would also need to be looked at to see if the individual was required to file. Normally this is based on income.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4